The Ultimate Guide to Outdoor Furniture in Livonia
Outdoor living has become increasingly popular in Livonia, MI as homeowners seek to extend their living space outside during Michigan's warm summer months. Having quality outdoor furniture allows you to relax, dine, and entertain outdoors comfortably. At Watson's, we're experts in outdoor furniture. Our ultimate guide covers everything about selecting, styling and caring for outdoor furniture in Livonia. Let's discover how you can create your perfect outdoor oasis.
Watson's of Livonia: Outdoor Furniture
Watson's of Livonia is your go-to destination for all your outdoor furniture needs. Watson's has been serving the Livonia area for over 30 years, providing quality patio sets, fire pit tables, chaise lounge chairs, side tables, and more to help create your ideal outdoor oasis right at home.
Understanding the Basics of Outdoor Furniture
When shopping for outdoor furniture, there are a few key things to consider:
- Materials: Outdoor furniture is commonly made from materials like wrought iron, aluminum, resin wicker, teak, and synthetics like polyethylene. Each has pros and cons regarding durability, maintenance, and cost.
- Weather Resistance: Look for materials that can withstand sun exposure, rain, snow, and temperature changes in your climate. Waterproof cushions are a must.
- Size: Make sure to measure your space and consider walkways and traffic flow when choosing furniture scale and layout.
- Style: Think about your overall aesthetic - traditional, modern, transitional? Watson's has it all.
- Comfort: Test out chairs and loungers. Cushions should be comfortable yet supportive.
Outdoor Furniture in Commercial Spaces
For restaurants, hotels, parks, and other commercial spaces, durability and easy maintenance are top priorities. Aluminum, stainless steel, and teak tend to be common material choices.
Stacking chairs allow flexibility for rearranging layouts. Cast aluminum and wrought iron stand up well to heavy use. Sectional sets with interchangeable tables, chairs, and benches allow for reconfiguration as needed. Including weather-resistant fabric options is ideal.
Check out our guide to outdoor furniture in commercial spaces.
Outdoor Patio Furniture for Your Home
When shopping for your home, comfort and aesthetics are likely your main concerns. Consider your lifestyle and how you want to use your patio space.
For dining and entertaining, choose outdoor living sets with comfortable, adjustable chairs. Watson's has many table sizes and shapes to accommodate parties small and large.
If relaxation is the goal, look for plush deep seating options like sectionals or separate modular pieces like ottomans and chaises that can be arranged into cozy configurations for coffee chatting or reading. Small spaces benefit from bistro sets, nesting tables, and functional ottomans with built-in trays for holding drinks and snacks.
Learn how to choose the perfect outdoor furniture for your home or garden.
Materials Used in Outdoor Furniture
- Wrought Iron: Known for traditional and old-world styling, wrought iron is long-lasting, but can be prone to rusting. Look for powder-coated wrought iron.
- Cast Aluminum: Porch swings and rockers are often made of durable, weather-resistant cast aluminum.
- Wicker: For an airy feel, an all-weather resin wicker makes a good choice and requires less maintenance than a natural wicker.
- Teak: Prized for its natural oils that allow it to withstand sun, rain, and salt air without much maintenance required. It grays beautifully over time.
- Synthetics: Affordable, durable options like polyethylene are great for families with kids and pets as they resist moisture, fading, and scratches.
Find out what the best outdoor furniture material is for different climates.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Outdoor Furniture in Livonia
Climate and Weather Conditions
Livonia has a humid continental climate with cold, snowy winters and warm, humid summers. This can be rough on outdoor furniture. Our top picks for outdoor furniture in Livonia include all-weather materials like powder-coated aluminum, stainless steel, or synthetic wicker that won't rust, crack, or peel. Teak wood is also very durable. Avoid delicate natural fibers like cotton or rattan.
Consider a fire pit table or patio heater to extend the use of your outdoor space into spring and fall. Look for weather-resistant cushions and fabrics. Waterproof covers can also protect furniture when not in use.
Outdoor Space Available
Measure your patio, deck, or yard carefully. Scale furniture appropriately so you have room to move around but utilize the space. Bar-height dining sets work well on small patios. Sectionals allow flexibility on narrow balconies. Chaise lounges are great for pools and yards. Look for nesting tables to save room.
Think about traffic flow and conversational groupings. Leave enough room to walk between furniture groupings. Face chairs towards one another for intimate gatherings.
Your Budget and Pricing of Outdoor Furniture
Outdoor furniture runs the gamut from inexpensive to luxury. Sets made from plastic, resin, or painted steel are usually more affordable than wood or aluminum garden furniture.
Be sure to factor in costs like accessories, delivery, setup, and maintenance. Look at warranties, too. Well-made furniture should last 5+ years. Sales and end-of-season discounts can offer big savings.
Maintenance and Durability of Outdoor Furniture
No outdoor furniture is completely maintenance-free, but some require less care than others. Powder-coated aluminum and synthetic wicker resist fading and staining. Teak needs annual sealing but weathers beautifully. Wrought iron is durable but can rust without regular paint touch-ups.
Look for materials that can handle sun, rain, snow, and humidity without damage. Mildew-resistant fabrics help furnishings last. Sturdy construction and hardware are also important for longevity.
Caring For and Maintaining Your Outdoor Furniture
Cleaning and Care Tips for Different Materials
Follow these tips adapted for Livonia's climate:
- Inspect furniture at the start and end of each season for any needed repairs. Address issues immediately to avoid further deterioration.
- Routinely wash fabric cushions and outdoor pillows with mild detergent and water to prevent mildew in Livonia's humid summers. Let the cushions fully air dry.
- Apply protective sealants to wood pieces before winter snow and freezing temperatures arrive. Reseal as needed.
- Lubricate moving parts like hinges and wheels with WD-40 to prevent rusting. Check monthly.
- Use covers or store furniture when not in use for prolonged periods. This prevents exposure to sun, dirt, and pests.
- Bring cushions indoors when furniture is not being used. Even weather-resistant cushions last longer stored inside.
- Watch for signs of rust and mildew which spread quickly in damp, humid climates.
Wash powder-coated aluminum with mild soap and water. For wicker, use a soft brush and gentle cleaner. Teak can be sanded and re-oiled annually. Wrought iron needs occasional rust-inhibiting paint. Plush outdoor cushions and pillows should be washed, brushed, and air-dried before storage.
Prevent issues like mold with regular cleaning. Spot treat spills and stains quickly. Consider fabric protection sprays for cushions. Keep furniture covered when not in use. Check for any loose, cracked, or damaged parts routinely.
Seasonal Storage for Your Outdoor Furniture
Store furniture cushions, pillows, and umbrellas in a clean, dry place indoors over winter. Water can cause mold and mildew. Place fabric items on cedar boards, which deter insects.
Cover furnishings left outside with waterproof barriers secured tightly. Elevate pieces off the damp ground. Clean and dry everything before covering. Store removable hardware and accessories indoors.
Inspect furniture at the start and end of each season. Make any needed repairs before storage. Maintain your outdoor furnishings and they'll provide years of lasting enjoyment.
Take a look at our outdoor storage solutions.
Come See Our Comfortable Outdoor Furniture for Your Patio
If you’re interested in finding new outdoor furniture in Livonia, Watson’s has everything you need.
When you shop with us, you’ll find an amazing selection and personalized service, along with the guaranteed lowest prices in the USA. We have a wide variety of outdoor furniture from the leading brands along with tons of accessories to make your outdoor space complete. Shop online or stop by your nearest Watson’s location today.
What is the best outdoor furniture for Michigan weather?
Look for powder-coated metal, HDPE lumber, synthetic wicker, and teak wood which can withstand Michigan's climate extremes of hot summers and freezing winters. Avoid non-weather-treated wood furniture.
How do I protect outdoor furniture from Michigan winter?
In winter, move furniture away from areas where snow piles up. Use covers when not in use. Apply protective sealants to the wood. Check for rust and mildew before storing. Wipe salt residue from metal frames to avoid corrosion.
How do I make old outdoor furniture look new?
Refresh old furniture with all-weather paint in a new color. Replace worn fabric cushions. Apply wood restorer to resurface scratched wooden pieces. Replace broken wicker strands. Clean rust stains on metal frames with vinegar or metal cleaner.