TV Stand Buying Guide: How to Find the Best Size and Style
The TV is the focal point of most living rooms, which means your TV stand or media console usually takes center stage. It can also be a highly functional piece of furniture, ready to neatly display (or hide) all your entertainment technology.
We’ll walk you through a few tips to help you figure out the best TV stand for your home. Just grab a measuring tape, and let’s go.
Watson’s has a wide selection of media consoles and TV stands, all at the guaranteed lowest price in the USA. Shop now.
Step 1: Measure the width of the TV and TV screen
Start by measuring the size of your TV. That will help you create the best design aesthetic and make sure you have enough space to securely place your TV.
Did you know that an advertised TV size only accounts for the screen? If a TV is described as 48”, that means the screen itself is 48 inches from the top left corner to the bottom right.
That does not take into account the actual base of the TV or how much space it takes up on your TV stand.
We like to measure both, because both can come in handy while shopping:
- The size of the screen, which is measured diagonally (i.e. upper left to the lower right)
- The size of the actual TV, measuring from the edge of the frame straight across to the other side's edge
Step 2: Match the TV stand size to your TV size
If your TV stand is the same width as your TV, that’s OK.
However, we recommend a stand a little wider (anywhere from 2" to a foot or more on each side) to make sure the TV can be placed securely. It also creates more visual balance and space to add decor.
A quick guide to the best size TV stand based on your TV screen (measured diagonally):
- 30 to 39 inch TV: TV stand should be at least 28” wide
- 40 to 49 inch TV: TV stand should be at least 37” wide
- 50 to 59 inch TV: TV stand should be at least 46” wide
- 60 to 69 inch TV: TV stand should be at least 54” wide
- 70 to 79 inch TV: TV stand should be at least 63” wide
- 80 inch TV or above: TV stand should be at least 72” wide
Step 3: Decide the features you want in your media console
Some people like small and simple with a minimalist style. Others like plenty of storage to hide their video game console or display their movie collection. It's personal choice.
So here are the common features to consider:
- Storage: Drawers, open shelves, cabinet doors (glass or covered)
- Material: Wood is the most common. Metal and glass are also options.
- Type: Entertainment center, cabinet, corner TV stand, hutch (where cabinets or shelves are stacked on top)
- Fireplace: Some media consoles have a built-in fireplace.
Step 4: Decide your media console design style
Finally, the TV stand color and design style should complement your living space.
You can shop by style here:
- Contemporary media consoles
- Rustic media consoles
- Farmhouse media consoles
- Industrial media consoles
- Mid-century modern media consoles
- Traditional media consoles
- Transitional media consoles
Shop all media consoles and TV stands here, all at the guaranteed lowest price in the USA.
Know your TV size, but still want help finding the best TV stand for your space and your budget? Or not sure where to start? Our design experts are here to help. Contact us now.